NSFW: Topless Wii, video games, and sleaze

This video is an old meme, but one that is remarkable for a few reasons:
  • It came to my attention because of a video lambasting the meme, which is ironic.
  • It involves semi-nude attractive women, which is normally OK with me.
  • Despite beautiful, attractive women, it's not sexy and actually a bit sleazy.
That last part deserves explanation, I suppose. The lack of sexiness is not because the girls aren't themselves attractive, or slicked up with oil, or almost naked, or young and have flawless skin, it's just that they're doing something that isn't sexy. They are literally just playing a video game, naked. Perhaps I am odd, but this doesn't turn me on. In fact, it makes me feel a little bit rude.

It would be sexier if I got the impression that they were playing the game in order to titillate me, the viewer, in the same way that some exhibitionist women like to dance with each other suggestively on the dance floor. There is a big difference when the woman is really dancing with someone, and when they are doing it for a show. I got the impression with the Wii video that these young girls were actually enjoying the game, forgetting their nudity, and it made me feel a bit awkward, and, well, sleazy, to be watching them.

Taking a wild leaping guess, these girls are professional models, probably not technically inclined, and I bet they really were having a good time playing Wii sports for the first time. Who knows, it may be the first video game either of them had ever played. It's a moment of almost tender, innocent discovery, and to sexualize it doesn't seem right to me.


(At 15 I would have had a different opinion.)

No comments: