People are Strange

I'm working at my favorite coffee shop, near the beach, and once again wonder at the strangeness of people. A group of young people on my side of the street see a friend, a young girl, on the other side of the street. They yell joyfully, incoherently. The girl sees them, and responds with that wordless, surprisingly high-pitched sound that either means "I'm in severe danger" or "hi", depending on context. I have to wonder, what ever happened to using words?

Another observation sitting here: it's remarkable how few people seem to know how to parallel park. Yesterday I watched a guy try to park for about 10 minutes. That may not sound like a long time, but it's an eternity when parking. I found the dramatic triangle between him, his girlfriend, and the parking spot strangely compelling.

No comments: