The unbearable strangeness of internet culture.

I've been spending more time on the internet, like the real internet, than I ever have in my life recently. It's kind of weird because I've been coding for the web for a long time. But really, I don't use it as much as some people do. I start to understand the blogosphere - there is a kind of breathlessness to the discourse. There are so many people, saying so many things, it's a bit overwhelming. Take, for example, this strange site. It's basically pictures of cats with strange, illiterate captions that are meant to be humurous. (I found it through Veronica Belmont's delicious tags. She could be the poster child of the modern social web. Or perhaps that's Andy Wibbels job?)


There has always been an undercurrent of self-deprecating illiteracy in the computer world, especially in gaming. I find this lolcat thing exceedingly strange. There are some ultra talented independant humorists out there (like the atrox, ben and eric, and quiet library to name just 3 "internet wave" sketch artists). So I'm not sure exactly what the point of this lolcat stuff really is.

No comments: