finding a wooden recorder

I have rediscovered the recorder from elementry school, a plastic yamaha model. i enjoy it alot, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired, and i'd like a prettier instrument to take to the renaissance faire anyway. i started researching recorders and found an embarrasment of riches:

My favorite looking recorder so far: Mollenhauer Denner 5107. Relatively cheap at $139 from Unicorn Music. this site is a great recorder resource in general, which has lists of manufacturers and pictures of specific models, as well as alternate tunings and music theory.

bill-lazar.com Sunnyvale based distributor. He sounds very friendly and will send several recorders for you to choose from. I found him on Mollenhauers "stockist" list

The Australian recorder home page has a tonne of good information on the history of the instrument (including depictions in art, etc) as well as modern manufacturers.

I was suprised to find that ebay has a special category for recorders. I let a nice student Moek slip through my fingers. I'll have to wait.

(This subject has been a pleasent distraction for about 8 hours over the last 2 days. It is a great pleasure to doodle on my old plastic Yamaha while reading these articles. :)

No comments: