Ubuntu buzz - what is it?

It's yet another Linux distribution (YALD) - and like so many of them, is based on Debian.

So how does it differ from Debian? I mean, why would I install Ubuntu rather than Debian?

A partial answer lies here. Basically Ubuntu releases every 6 months, does some package manipulation. As far as I can tell that's it.

(The hype I heard was that there was an argument on the TV show "Veronica Mars" about Ubuntu - which only goes to show that people are aware of Linux, not necessarily adopting it.)

A related question arises: what is the difference between the various Linux distributions? I *think* the answer lies in their installation, configuration, and package management tools. But actually the real answer lies in the community, the contributers and package maintainers.

No comments: