Judge Jone's ID decision

For reference:

http://coop.www.uscourts.gov/pamd/kitzmiller_342.pdf

Most of the good stuff is in the middle 40 pages or so. Good reading! I got in a very annoying argument with some fundamentalists over ID. What made it worse was that a) I hadn't had a chance to prepare and was forced to think on my toes and b) no-one rose to argue with me. The latter was quite disheartening.

The worst thing were the negative arguments against evolution. I felt like I had to defend it, even though something bothered me. Reading this decision made me realize the false duality implicit in the attack.

Ironically I am more sympathetic than most to the ID argument, primarily as part of the question: if we are part of a virtual reality simulation, how would be find out? Messages from the container reality would be one way. But what sort of message would it look like? Could it be written in DNA? So in a way there *is* a test for Intelligent Design - do a SETI-like search on all DNA sequences!

So in a way the Christians have promoted the right thing for some very wrong reasons (I'm rather offended that creationists would stoop to a trojan horse tactic like ID, frankly - aren't they supose to be principled or something?).

No comments: