Installing Bugzilla Part 3

Previous posts on this were a bit confused, for the simple reason that I was a bit confused about the nature of Bugzilla, and I was also a bit too enamored with the prospect of a painless installation. Frankly if JIRA was free I would probably use it. Bugzilla is a webapp done in CGI, with a long list of perl and linuxy dependencies. Approaching it in this fashion, one can actually make headway.

The key to meeting Bugzilla's dependancies lies in getting perl on the command line to work. This means installing perl, which for me, meant cygwin. (There are other ways, including Activestate perl and XAMPP).

The other key is to get Apache and MySQL running. For that you need either WAMP or XAMPP.

I found that a bash shell was excellent for installing and managing the command-line dependencies, and that a cmd shell was excellent for checking that apache has access to the binaries. E.g. you run bugzilla's checksetup.pl from cmd, but you run perl -MCPAN from bash. Of course, the cmd shell has c:\cygwin\bin on the path so it can see the binaries.

Once this was established it was smooth sailing installing the perl packages that checksetup.pl indicated, except for the DBD packages. In those cases, I had to install the cygwin package (for postgres, in my case) before they would install. This is inefficient and potentially confusing, but acceptable for now.

I believe that there may be a market for a subversion/bugzilla AMI. :)

No comments: